Neapolitan pizza: the tastiest recipes
Neapolitan pizza is the real treasure of Italy's historic centre, Naples. The recipe for this dish includes traditional products for the Mediterranean region. Among them: sun-drenched tomatoes, flavor-filled olives, and fragrant cheeses. Baked on a thin flatbread, they conquer the palates of gourmets.
For a unique gastronomic experience, excursion tours to Naples are organized. There are over 45 world famous Neapolitan pizzerias in the region. And there is even an annual week-long festival. On it you can treat yourself to culinary masterpieces of the best pizzaiolo from all over Italy, because everyone prepares his own recipe of Neapolitan pizza. And also get unforgettable emotions from the show of virtuoso dough-makers.
If you're not planning a trip to Naples in the near future, we suggest making 2 classic types of pizza napoletana at home: Margherita with cheese and basil and Marinara without cheese and with garlic. The dough and the composition of the toppings can be modified and supplemented as you wish. After a few experiments, you will determine the Neapolitan pizza recipe that you and your family will most enjoy.
The base for Neapolitan Margherita pizza is made from unflavored yeast dough. It can be distinguished by characteristically less puffiness, more spice and the presence of crunchy crust. The key ingredient in the plain yeast dough is flour. It is important that it be high grade, containing a lot of protein (proteins). This will determine a good texture of the pizza base. We leave the recipe with a detailed description of the cooking technology below.
Required for the dough:
- 500 gr. Italian flour 00;
- 3 gr. quick dry yeast
- 15 ml olive oil
- 10g salt;
- 250ml water.
Required for the toppings:
- 200 gr. mozzarella;
- 12-16 basil leaves;
- 2 tomatoes;
- 6-8 tbsp. tomato sauce.
- To prepare a perfect Neapolitan pizza recipe, knead the dough using the highest quality flour. The best is considered to be Italian flour of the finest grind (zero-zero) of soft wheat. It has a high gluten content.
- First dilute the yeast in warm water. For a better reaction add a dessert spoonful of sugar. Stir and leave to rise for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl measure out flour, add salt. Make a small depression in the hill, pour yeast mixture into it.
- Mix the liquid and dry ingredients for the Neapolitan pizza with a fork. Continue the recipe by kneading the mass by hand.
- Knead the dough, adding pinches of flour as needed. The consistency should be sticky, but when the mass comes together, add olive oil.
- Then knead well. Do not add extra flour too quickly. Knead thoroughly for about 5 minutes. The dough will gradually attain a smooth, elastic texture without the addition of flour.
- Cover the dough with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place to make airy Neapolitano pizza. The dough recipe optimally takes 30-40 minutes to cook. During this time, it approximately doubles in volume.
- Now you can proceed to the preparation of the billet and baking. You can make 2 large pizzas about 30 cm in diameter or several smaller ones from the indicated amount of ingredients.
- Now it's time to prepare the toppings. Before you do this, turn on the oven to maximum heat.
- Divide the dough in half or into several smaller pieces.
- In Italy, the Neapolitan pizza recipe is a mesmerizing show.
- Experienced pizzaylo form the dough with their hands. They stretch it to the right size by tossing the layer in the air. Since not everyone has this skill, use a regular rolling pin. Roll out the layer, no thicker than 3 mm.
- Transfer the base to parchment paper so you don't tear it when you put it in the oven.
- Roll out the sides up to 1 cm wide.
- Spread 3-4 tbsp of tomato paste. You can also use ketchup or spicy herb sauce. Spread over the entire area so that it does not extend beyond the sides.
- Cut 100g of cheese into slices. Spread most of it around the circumference. Make a perfect Neapolitan pizza with mozzarella. The recipe contains this variety for its excellent resistance to temperatures.
- Mozzarella melts slowly, which gives you a head start for optimal dough baking.
- Slice the tomato into thin rings and spread it all over the pizza.
- Sprinkle the spices and herbs on top to taste, place a few basil leaves.
- Then place the remaining slices of cheese.
- Take the tray out of the preheated oven and carefully transfer the pizzas by holding the parchment.
- For the most authentic Neapolitano pizza, cook the recipe in the oven on the bottom shelf. Literally 6-10 minutes will be enough for cooking.
- Before serving, the finished treat should be left for 2-5 minutes, then cut with a special pizza knife.
- There is a real tradition of eating pizza: slices are taken by hand, put in a triangle and eaten with a good wine (for adults) or juice (for children).
Pizza in the best traditions of Southern Italy
The name Neapolitan pizza "Marinara" itself hides the main ingredient of the recipe - "marinara sauce". It's called "marinara" not because of its composition, but because of its origin. It is made with products that are typical for the Mediterranean region; it reflects the rich flavor of sun-filled tomatoes, olives, fragrant garlic and fragrant herbs. Traditionally, capers and onions are added to the composition.
Prepare for the dough:
- 0,340g of baking flour;
- 0.180 gr. durum wheat flour;
- 3 gr. quick dry yeast;
- 260 ml. water;
- 15 ml. olive oil;
- 10 gr. salt.
Prepare for the filling:
- 4-5 pcs. tomatoes;
- 3 sprigs of basil;
- 8-10 olives;
- 3-4 cloves garlic;
- Oregano, salt, dry herbs to taste.
- To prepare the recipe for Neapolitan pizza dough, you can use a mixer. Mix the yeast and water in a bowl, add a pinch of sugar. Leave for 10 minutes, then add to a large bowl with the flour, salt and olive oil.
- Knead the dough for about 2 minutes on low speed. Then increase to a medium speed and cook the dough for 4 minutes.
- The dough will remain slightly moist. This is normal. Now leave the clump to rise in size for 30 minutes.
- Then gently knead. Allow to proof for another 15 minutes.
- Place in fridge for 6-8 hours. Leave for longer if necessary, but take out an hour before using.
- Divide the ball into 230g portioned pieces. Form them into round portions, place back in the fridge for an hour.
- This time can be used to prepare stuffing. Scald the tomatoes, remove the skin. Cut each tomato into 4 pieces, remove the seeds.
- Chop the pulp with a knife, put in a bowl.
- To the tomatoes add crushed garlic (half), sugar, olive oil. If you want to get a fragrant Neapolitan pizza, supplement the recipe with a few pinches of savory, oregano, other natural herbs to taste.
- Stir the mass. If it is too liquid, leave it to let the heavy particles sink to the bottom. This will make it easier to gently collect the excess liquid.
- Return to cutting the dough. Use the first ball of dough formed. Roll out the dough using a rolling pin, then each subsequent ball to a circle 20 cm in diameter. Place on a baking trowel or parchment-lined baking tray before spreading the filling.
- Spread the tomato and spice filling on top, leaving a 1-2 cm free edge.
- Sprinkle over the basil leaves and the rest of the garlic cloves, cut into thin slices. If using olives, spread on top.
- The classic Neapolitan pizza recipe doesn't include cheese. But if you add a little grated parmesan, it only makes it taste better.
- Bake the pizza at 260 degrees until golden brown around the edges of the crust (5-7 minutes).
You may also like:
Marshmallows at home: recipe with photos
What can you cook dinner quickly and deliciously
Easy recipes for tasty cakes
Like our articles? Sign up and search tasty and useful ideas on chefmarket.ru ????
Try our menu!3 dinners for 2 with free
delivery for 1990 rubles View menu